Friday, February 18, 2011

FEAR


My best friend texted me this morning and told me she thought i should write about fear today.  I thought about it after she sent me the text and couldn't really get it off my mind all day, i kept thinking.."i have to write about fear tonight, i have to confront it!". 


So here i am, reflecting on what that word means to me and why i'm scared of it.  Honestly, i lived in a place of fear for a very large portion of my life.  I don't actually ever remember NOT being scared as a young adult and much into my adult life.


So, What is fear?? 

By definition FEAR is a distressing emotion aroused by a perceived threat. It is a basic survival mechanism occurring in response to a specific stimulus, such as pain or the threat of danger. In short, fear is the ability to recognize danger and flee from it.

I can't even believe how much that speaks to me...especially... "fear is the ability to recognize danger and flee from it" and the part about SURVIVAL!"

FLEE FROM IT!!!!  Isn't that what we all do?  We run from spiders, heights, airplanes, confrontation, driving, ect....we get as far away as possible from it!!  It doesn't matter what it is, we naturally FLEE!

Fear = Survival

Why do we need it to survive?  Don't we all remember someone at some point telling us "stepping into your fear is how you will grow".  It makes soo much sense, we have to get uncomfortable to move forward!

I found this poem a couple of months ago and it really spoke to me, infact it gives me the shivers.




I don't want to live in fear anymore...DO YOU?

No comments:

Post a Comment